Just a Second

I go on a walk pretty much everyday. I'll take Gus, our 1 year old bernadoodle. We live on a gravel road so it's fairly quiet and peaceful other than when Gus gets a sudden burst of excitement as a biker rides by or he spots the neighbors horses or cows. 

Walking is so good for my mood and mental health. I just feel happier after. It's something I used to do with my mom, and something I love to do with my girls and Jason. (Why doesn't she like walking with the boys? They would rather watch paint dry). It just makes processing my thoughts a little easier for whatever reason.

Without fail I always end up with a tiny rock or two in my shoes. It's rarely big enough to keep me from continuing. Usually it's just a little discomfort or annoyance. So I keep walking. It's a hassle to make Gus stop and wait or if someone is walking with me to ask them to hang on while I shake the debris out and hop on one leg trying to keep my balance at the same time. So I just put up with it. 

I was out for a walk a few days ago and per usual got the tiny rocks in my shoes... I just kept walking as I was processing the onslaught of what I knew to be unhealthy thoughts and just feeling frustrated with myself that I couldn't talk myself out of the barrage of destruction overtaking my mind. I was struggling to redirect, to replace the brain sludge with truth, to pave that new neural-pathway.

I finally stopped, dumped the rocks out, started walking again and the comfort was actually a little astounding. It's so dumb really. My focus on trying to make those thoughts bow became less like a pinball machine. I didn't know how distracting the tiny rocks really were.  

Sometimes all you need is a simple 15 seconds to stop, fix it, refocus and then carry on less distracted. It's so uncomplicated. I don't do this enough: I allow this little nuisance to stick around, but if I'd take a hot second to slow down and take care of it then I can be more present. 

What's that thing for you? 

Hebrews 12:12, 2  let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts