What if...

I have felt disappointed in my lack of reverence and focus heading into this weekend.  So I began asking myself questions like "Why is the death of Jesus not an alarming thought?  Why do I just let it roll off my lips that 'Jesus died on the cross'". I was praying with the boys before bed just last night thanking God for sending his son Jesus, and it all just seems like a simple piece of history that I've gotten so used to.  So I felt like I needed to take time today to reflect, to think about what this really means to me and to let it settle into my spirit and soul.

My mind started with "What if..."  usually that takes me down a dark hole, but this is different.  What if Jesus hadn't come yet?  What if we were still waiting on the Messiah? We would be bound to the old traditions.  We would have to bring a sacrifice to the temple.  We would not have direct access to God through prayer.  Mary who?  We wouldn't have Christmas.  There's so much more, but those things alone shaped our world whether you believe in Jesus or not.

What if he didn't change the water to wine, heal the leper, heal the blind, heal the paralytic?  But he did.  What if he wouldn't have changed Peter's life by filling his empty nets with fish?  But he did.  What if he would've ignored the adulterous woman or judged her just like the pharisees did?  What if he would've ignored the poor and given all of his attention to the rich and talented?  But he didn't.  

What if Jesus would've used all of his power to put himself on the earthly throne?  He could've.  He could've turned all the powerful rulers into puny little nothings.  He could've obliterated the people who worshiped him and just days later shouted for him to be crucified.  But he didn't.  

What if  he went all gladiator on the Roman guards when they came to arrest him?  What if he lashed out and broke free from the chains, grabbed the whip he was being whipped with and whipped the guards in the square that day?  What if he spoke up and defended himself in a way that would be impossible for any ruler to argue with, because he could have, but he didn't.

What if he gave into the taunting "If you really are the Messiah then get down off the cross"?  But he didn't.  He stayed.  What if he never conquered death?  What if his remains were still in that tomb? 

Jesus had countless opportunities to escape his death.  In every moment he had the power.  He didn't event have to come for us at all.  But he was born into a simple family, he was not known to be rich, handsome, athletic, musical, talented, etc.  He was known for his humility, his compassion, his sacrifice, his deep love.

He chose this.  In all things he had a choice, but he chose us.  If God didn't send his son, Jesus, and if Jesus did not die and have victory over death my life would be nothing short of a complete disaster.  Because of Jesus we have his words recorded--those words guide my life.  They don't restrict me.  They protect me.  They make my life rich and full.  They give me peace when the world tells me I shouldn't have peace.  His promises are trustworthy.  I know.  I've experienced it.  He listens, he cares, he loves, he provides, he gives us purpose, he sees when I feel unseen.  

He had choice after choice.  He never chose the easy way.  That's so tempting for me.  The easy way. But I've learned the hard way that the easy way leads to destruction or at the very least a lack of peace.  What if he didn't choose death?  The church was birthed out of his death.  The church wouldn't exist.  I know church isn't the building.  It's the people.  I'm so thankful for the people that make up the church of Lowell, MI.  I miss you all so much.  I'm sad that we can't be physically together this weekend, but I'm so thankful that because of Jesus we can still celebrate freedom in Christ separate, but together.

What if... Thank God he did.


Comments

Popular Posts