Roots, Truth and Trees

When I was a little girl our neighbor had a tree house in their woods that we would imagine to be our "Swiss Family Robinson" home or a boat or whatever we wanted it to be that day.  I was climbing down as another friend was climbing down right after me.  Somehow I ended up with her foot in my eye.  It gave me a nice shiner to go with the gunny sac dress I had to wear to the Mother Daughter tea at my church that night.  But I loved the attention it drew.  I had a story to tell.  Adventure.

Our piano teacher had the coolest massive pine tree in her front yard that felt like the biggest tent ever. My sister and I would transport our imaginations to all sorts of places pretending it was our refuge from the bad guys or our secret Narnia like escape.  We would only have a half an hour while our little brother had his lesson, but it only took seconds for our innocent minds to make up our own world.  Escape.

Then there was that tree that jarred my van from spinning as we slammed backwards into it and glass exploded inside the van.  It almost felt like it all happened in slow motion.  Cold air blew through as I could barely turn my head to notice my broken seat, Aly screaming, and Tay and Kami both stunned with blood soaked hair.  Scariest day of my life.  Paramedics and an ambulance ride with me on a stretcher as an EMT attended to the girls made it so much scarier in some ways.  Kami ended up with staples in the back of her head and Tay with cuts all over the top of her scalp but not a stitch needed. Terror.

Christmas.  I love the trees and all their decorations.  I love how every family does theirs differently surrounded with unique traditions and "babies first Christmas 1999" ornaments in the middle of bulbs with toddler thumbprints made into the face of a reindeer.  The tree lights up and then that last touch of placing the star on top completes the tree loaded with nostalgia.  The star that symbolizes the coming of Jesus as a baby who would one day save the world. Hope.


I always thought the favorite part of my house would be the unique touches like the sliding antique doors we found on craigslist, but it's the wood stove.  The stove that sits under a sweet looking barn beam we got from our friend, Ryan.  The stove that every kid goes straight to when they wake up in the morning or walk in the door from school.  It's the cozy place I plant my body in front of to watch NCIS or Hawkeye football.  It's the thing that keeps me from being productive because once I'm there I don't want to leave the warmth.  We made an offer on a house years ago, and I was so bummed when it fell through, but my friend, Rachel, reminded me, "There isn't even a fireplace, and you want that so badly.  Don't you think God knows that?"  He so knew that of all things to have in a house that was the one thing I would enjoy having over beauty and space.  Jason spends countless hours in the fall cutting wood for the stove, which is an escape to his childhood and a reminder of all things simple for him. It's when he feels the least stress.  Something about that wood stove makes home feel so safe.  Peace.
                  



Our neighbors have a gorgeous and huge old oak tree that we made the centerpiece for Kami's graduation open house party.  On a perfect summer night it made for the most picturesque setting with lanterns dangling off the branches and lights woven between.  Beauty.                                              
         

   
Trees provide adventure and fuel imagination.  Tree houses and tire swings are part of our childhood that reminds us of our innocence.  Trees give shade in the heat and are fuel that provide heat.  They give us the air we breathe.  They are an art exhibit of God's creativity.  Throughout the New Testament Jesus references trees several times in regard to how we live, who we are and where we draw life from. What we produce is a reflection of who we are.  Where our roots gain their nourishment will determine the quality of our produce.  So who we do life with, who we listen to, what we watch and what we take in and allow in our hearts and in our minds will influence who we become, who we are and how we are to those around us.  I've been thinking about what I'm filling my time with, my mind with, my heart with and wondering is it life giving.  Is it producing good.

I just returned from a retreat for adoptive moms.  It was so so amazing!  The theme verse was Colossians 2:7 "Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him.  Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness."  I fully believe this and have experienced the goodness of my roots being nourished by the truth of who God is and how He sees me.  It produces in me peace, joy and contentment.  I've also been in a place where I have allowed the core of who I am to be rooted in a belief system that was birthed out of lies.  I become reactive, grumpy, discontent and just skeptical of everyone around me.  Well, that's depressing.  Unhealthy roots rot the tree.  I've been there and had to uproot and transplant.  It takes a lot of care at first, but it's so worth it when I consider the alternative.  My perspective can get so dark when I lose sight of this.  God's love and truth is the primary source of life that produces a healthy soul.



Comments

  1. I love this! Just what I needed to be reminded of...thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts