Ethiopia-Day 2: Meeting the Boys- Part 1

We are used to sleeping with a fan, but since we couldn't bring our big ol' loud fan we had to improvise and use the "fan" from the "sleep lite" app. on my phone.  It was sufficient.  We went upstairs for our breakfast of eggs and toast (not too bad), but I could barely swallow because of the lump in my throat.  Jason asked how I was feeling about going to meet the boys.  The lump in my throat could only be supressed for so long, and the ache I felt lead to tears.  It wasn't so much nerves over meeting the boys although I was filled with "what if's".  I was heavy for Joshua's birthmom who we were going to also be meeting shortly.  I just couldn't wrap my mind around the thought of giving up one of my girls knowing I may never see them again.  She had to be feeling sickeningly sad.  Then I was feeling guilty.  If the only reason she is giving him up was money then should we be giving her money so she can care for him instead?  But I knew there was more to it.  Kara said on the plane that they may never come to know Jesus were it not for us introducing them to Him.  That settled me a little, and having prayed for the boys, and staring at their pictures settled me too.  I just wondered a lot.


We collected ourselves, grabbed our bags and met our driver outside.  From what I understand families often have several drivers, but we got to have this guy for our driver for the whole week, and just adored him.  He was so gracious and kind.  He loved and played with the children wherever we were.  He was very protective of us, and his driving skills would put the NYC taxi driver to shame.

We left for Jane's House, and were alarmed as we passed countless beggars.  Whenever we stopped women with babies and children mostly would knock on the windows asking for food or money or anything we would give them.  We had candy, and that was about it.  I wish we would have thought to bring even clothes or blankets for them.  

We turned down this road that practically gave us whip lash with all the ruts and potholes.  My nerves were all over the place as we waited for them to open the gate.  I had no idea if birth mom was here.  I didn't know if Joshua was on the other side of that door.  Unknown, unknown, unknown...


One of the nannies opened the gate, and welcomed us in.  Mulenesh, the nurse who cares for the children came out to meet us too.  Isn't she just beautiful?  She is wonderful and loving with the children as are all the nannies.  They hug and kiss them, laugh and interact with them, encourage them to interact with us crazy white people.  Such angels.


We walk into the courtyard, and Joshua's birth mom walked out of the house to greet us.  We said hi, and they quickly took us back into a room where 5 heart captivating children were playing.  Jason immediately spotted Joshua.  We went over knelt down by him, and did our best not to freak him out with crying and hugging and kissing.  So I handed him a nerf soccer ball.  Yes!  He dropped it and kicked it like, "duh, this is not a hand sport".  I asked Mulenesh if I could give the kids suckers, so they all were my new best friends all of the sudden.  I can't post the picture of Joshua kicking the ball, because these two other children are not yet adopted so I can't post their faces, although, the little guy at the bottom of this picture is referred... that sweet story to come.  And this little girl... if I can find a way to bring her home I will be. :)


We went outside, and played, kicking the ball around for a bit.  All this time Joshua's birth mom is sweetly smiling and watching.  


Our driver came to us, and said he needed to leave to take her to catch her bus, so we came in to ask her questions.  It's so hard to put into words the calm and release God brought through her answers.  She gave very short answers as Mulenesh interpreted for us, and had a kind and gentle look on her face through the whole process.  We asked her why she was giving up "Fuad" (his birth name).  She smiled and said, "so he can grow up".  I asked her how she was feeling about him coming to live with us, and becoming part of our family.  She said, "happy, so happy".  We asked a lot of other questions of family history, her delivery and health.  When we asked what she hoped for Fuad she said that she liked sports and hoped he would have the opportunity to play sports, and she wanted him to be a good person.  She left saying she hoped to be able to be there when he gets married.  I got choked up a few times.  She didn't shed a tear, but seemed to have amazing peace.  Joshua colored while we talked.  At one point she called him over to sit by her, and he did.  She kissed him and stroked his face.  It was obvious she loves him. When it was time for her to leave she didn't say goodbye to Joshua, and he didn't seem to know or really to be affected by her leaving.  But it broke my heart, yet at the same time I knew she had peace and so did he.  The only way a person is able to have that kind of joy in a situation like this one is if God Himself is pouring out His peace that is beyond our understanding.





After she left we colored with the Joshua and his 4 other cute friends (there were also 2 beautiful babies there).  I would love to show pictures of all the other kids, but can't:( We went outside and kicked around the ball.  Jason and I were completely thrilled to see Joshua's future playing for the MLS flash before our eys:)  He's a lefty, but he can use his right foot too.   He loved playing catch too.  We pulled out stickers, and the girls especially loved this.  Oh, I want a little girl too.  They just wanted to sit on my lap and touch my hair and my face.  They were especially amused by my nose ring:)




Jason, of course, was spinning kids around and lifting them way high, and they loved it.  It was so cute to hear Joshua squeal with excitement.  Oh, and the iphone... he loves the iphone.  All the kids did really.  



He figured the touch screen and how to swipe across to move pictures immediately.


We were so happy with how things went meeting Joshua's birth mom.  But we left that first day with questions.  We knew when we got his referral that he was not speaking yet.  I know it's against all parenting rules, but in comparing him to the other 4 children he just seemed like he should be talking a little at least.  We were concerned.  And just like when you discover there may be some complications or just unknowns with your biological child fear sets in.   It wasn't all romantic filled with instantaneous bonding.  We knew we loved Joshua, but he didn't love us yet.  We were just another couple, another white couple coming to play.  So this first day with him left us wondering... not of our commitment, but what's ahead.  But we had to put that all aside, because it was time to go to Engida to meet Caleb.









Comments

Popular Posts