Wisdom for Free

I'm currently doing a study on the promises of God, and read James 1:5 which I know and love and am so familiar with, but in the countless times I've read it I've glossed over this short line. This is what I love about God's word: It just doesn't get old. It's alive. I find so much confidence knowing that I can go to God and ask for wisdom, and he promises to give it to us. But this is the part that brought me to a screeching halt--"...without finding fault." "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to ALL without finding fault, and it will be given to him." 

Then this morning--where has this been? I just finished reading through the Bible, but I don't remember reading this. Psalm 106:43,44, "Many times he delivered them, but they were bent on rebellion and they wasted away in their sin. YET he took note of their distress when he heard their cry; for their sake he remembered his covenant and out of his great love he relented. He caused all who held them captive to show them mercy."

You don't have to have it figured out when you go to Him. He's there to help you figure it out. How freeing. How secure. So when we tank on parenting, friendship or marriage He will help us clean up the mess and give us wisdom in His mercy. When we make a bad financial decision He will help us clean up the mess and give us wisdom in His mercy. When we pass up an opportunity, when we say yes when we should have said no He will provide a way and give us wisdom in His mercy.

What do we need to do? 1 Peter 5:6,7 "So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." Admit the mistake, ask for help, surrender it entirely to Him, ask for His wisdom and act on that wisdom. Sure there might be natural consequences, but He will give us what we need in those consequences to respond with wisdom and humility. 

I find so much peace and security in knowing that God's promises aren't based on my goodness, but on his grace and love for me.


Comments

  1. Thank you for this Heidi, I was just having a moment, a long moment of feeling not good enough today. And this was a good reminder that we can come to him in our imperfections/ sins... without fault he gives mercy. I like hearing your writings, I wish I would journal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts